The other day, I was cleaning his house when I found a one-inch piece of charcoal burnt into one of my couch cushions! It came from a piece of wood that popped from my fireplace to the couch. While all that little chunk of ember did was burn a hole in the furniture, my house could have gone up in flames! I am thankful that all I have to do is turn the couch cushion around to hide the burn mark!
Most home fires happen during the winter months than any other time of year, when the cozy warmth of a fireplace is at its most inviting. Not only are fires a danger, space heaters are often used to heat rooms that need an extra boost; plus, home heating devices can produce an abundance of deadly carbon monoxide gas.
Seniors aged 65 and older are three times more likely to die or be injured in a house fire than other age groups. Not only that, but if you live in a newer home, reports are saying you may have less time to escape a fire because of synthetics. Here are some important home heating safety tips to remember:
1) Check Your Chimney and Fireplace for Hazards
Have the chimney flue pipe checked each year if you or your loved one uses a wood-burning fireplace. Make sure that there is a screen or glass in front of the fireplace to catch any wild sparks or moving logs. Keep flammable objects such as stockings and curtains away from the fireplace when in use.
2) Get the Proper Fire Extinguisher
Get an ABC multipurpose fire extinguisher for your home, read the manual so you and your loved ones know how to use it, and store it in a place where it is easily accessible in case of a fire. OSHA gives some helpful tips for the workplace, hut they can apply to your home as well.
3) Check On Smoke and CO Alarms
Make sure each room has a smoke detector, especially the kitchen, living room, and all places where it’s most likely a fire will start. You need CO detectors outside each sleeping area, so they can wake you up in the event of a carbon monoxide outbreak; CO is at its most deadly when you are asleep since you are not alert to get out of the house. Check all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and make sure all batteries have been replaced. Install additional detectors if you find areas without them.
4) Remember Space Heater Safety!
Remember that space heaters need space! Anything that can burn should be kept at least three feet away from the heater. If you’re looking to buy a new space heater get one that automatically shuts off if the heater falls over in case of an accident.
Autumn is the perfect time to make your home prepared for the upcoming cold weather for which Denver, Colorado is famous. When you are not outside enjoying all of the snow for skiing and ice for skating, you will be spending a lot of time indoors in your home, and thus it makes sense to do whatever you can now to cozy up your home before the first snows fly. Many people already have heating systems in place, which can include fireplaces, but not all older fireplaces are up to the challenge of heating your home efficiently. If this describes what is happening in your home, you will want to look into a gas fireplace conversion. A fireplace gas conversion can take your drafty old fireplace and turn it into a modern heating machine.
There are several circumstances that might put your home in need of a gas fireplace conversion. If your home currently has an older propane gas fireplace in place, you may want to upgrade the system with a fireplace gas conversion. Another instance would be if you have a wood-burning fireplace, and decide that you would like the convenience of a gas fireplace, and so you could achieve that with a gas fireplace conversion. For fireplaces with broken parts, or older fireplaces that are so inefficient that it makes no sense to try to repair them, a fireplace replacement is in order.
The key component to a fireplace replacement or a gas fireplace conversion is the use of a gas insert. The gas insert is sized to fit the opening of your current fireplace so that there are no cracks or gaps. What the correct fit does is eliminate the heat produced by the gas fireplace replacement from being lost up the chimney flue, and the heat instead gets spread throughout your home. By using a fireplace gas conversion with your wood fireplace, you can have a cozier home, and you will be done with the messy cleaning chore of removing ashes and soot from the fireplace.
For poorly functioning old models, it makes sense to do a complete gas fireplace replacement. New models are beautiful, and can become the focal point of any room. You can also do a simple fireplace insert replacement as well. In order to learn more about which fireplace insert replacement units will function best with your existing fireplace, or if you want a full gas fireplace replacement, visit a local fireplace showroom.
The fireplace has long been the favorite spot to gather in the American home. A place for warmth, the fireplace adds ambience, sparking memories that are to be treasured. With all the benefits that a fireplace can bring, there are some major downsides that if not addressed can cause a love for the fireplace to wane.
With soaring energy costs, the chief negative of having a fireplace has to be its inefficiency. When there is a fire burning, the fireplace does indeed radiate warmth in its general vicinity, but it also creates a convection current that can actually pull conditioned air out of the room and up the chimney causing your furnace to work overtime. When the fire is not burning, the fireplace has a damper which is supposed to block inside air from escaping and outside air from invading. The problem is that the damper is usually made of metal (this type of damper technology hasn’t changed in over 100 years!) and has no seal, which means that the damper is incredibly inefficient.
Your home has a dirty little secret – the fireplace that is designed to warm your house is actually doing the opposite and costing you hundreds of dollars in energy costs. Don’t fret – with a little investment of time and money, you can turn that inefficient fireplace into a powerhouse heater that will reduce your energy bills and add even more charm to your existing fireplace.
The following is a list of 4 things that you can do yourself to drastically reduce the heating costs associated with the inefficiency of your fireplace.
1. Top Sealing Dampers replace the fireplace throat damper and are installed at the top of the chimney. The top sealing damper has a seal that acts like a storm door keeping the expensive conditioned air inside the house and the outside air – outside. This principle works year round, whether you’re heating or cooling your house. This product can be purchased online and is easily installed by either a homeowner or a handyman.
2. A fireback is a cast iron plate that is placed at the back of your fireplace. Its purpose is to protect the back wall from fire damage and it usually features a design that adds to the homes decor. The fireback improves the fireplaces efficiency by absorbing the heat from the fire and radiating the heat back into the room.
3. A Fireplace Heater pulls fresh air from the room, circulates it through a chamber that is heated by the fire and then blows the heated air back into the room. These heaters are closed systems so no smoke from the fireplace is invading the home. Depending on which kind you purchase, these heaters can make a significant difference in your homes temperature, even heating a full room on its own. Specific fireplace heaters can be installed with fireplace glass doors which will kick your cost savings up another notch.
4. Fireplace Glass Doors will likely carry the largest investment, but you can reduce some of that cost by doing some of the work yourself. There are a number of fireplace doors that can be purchased online and come with easy to install instructions. The fireplace glass door creates a barrier between the living space and the chimney, thus reducing the area that your furnace will have to heat. This alone is a good reason to install these doors, but it’s not the only reason. Fireplace glass doors offer another level of safety for the home by protecting children and pets from the fire. If you have a wood burning fireplace you will want to purchase the screen mesh that is designed to go with the fireplace glass doors. This will allow you to have the doors open while the fire is burning and still have your home protected from sparks and embers. Fireplace glass doors are now being manufactured with modern designs and really add beauty and charm to the fireplace. If you’re handy, all of these suggestions are easy to accomplish. In addition, all of the products, while difficult to find locally, can easily be purchased online. If you’re concerned about high energy costs but you want to keep your fireplace, then it’s time to plug up the holes in your monthly energy budget by plugging up the holes in your fireplace.
A fireplace offers more than warmth; select with care and you’ll get
personality too. Sorry to say it can be difficult to make the correct
Not only must you choose between traditional and contemporary; there’s also the option of whether to go for gas, electric or solid fuel.
Fires and stoves come in a selection of various colours and styles. What is more there are choices to be made between surrounds, hearths and accessories.
Factors to Consider
When deciding upon a new fire, the initial consideration will be anchored in appearance. Sleek and contemporary or period style?
After choosing your fireplace style, you need to give thought to your energy-type. For gas or solid fuel, the type of chimney in your home is of prime importance.
• Brick chimney
• Prefabricated Flue
• Pre-cast Flue
• No Chimney or Flue
Brick Chimney Features
• Chimney pot visible on roof
• External chimney stack
• Internal chimney breast
• Solid fuel stoves and casts
• Any gas fire
• Any electric fire
Pre-fabricated Flue Features
• External metal flue pipe on roof
• False internal chimney breast
• Multi-flue gas fires
• Selected gas fires (depending on depth of false chimney breast)
• Selected electric fires (depending on depth of false chimney breast)
Pre-cast flue Features
• Raised ridge tile on the roof
• Metal flue pipe on the roof
• No internal or external chimney breast
• Multi-flue gas fires
• Selected gas fires (depending on depth of false chimney breast)
• Any electric fire
If you have no pre-existing chimney or flue you can take your choice of electric fires, or opt for a flueless gas fire (depending on room size).
Carbon Neutral Heating
Given the recent problems in Japan; countless people are giving thought to fuel and the environment. Undeniably the most easy carbon-neutral heating system is a woodburning stove.
Although burning wood gives off Carbon Dioxide (CO2);
this is CO2 absorbed during the life of the tree, so no extra CO2 is
liberated into the atmosphere. Make sure you burn wood from a
sustainable source, and you will generate a closed carbon cycle; the
outcome is carbon-neutral.
Climate Neutral Heating
To become carbon-neutral:
• Choose your stove carefully
• Look for a stove that meets rigorous ecological standards
• Inspect the flue regularly
• Burn clean wood only
• Burn dry wood only (less than 20% moisture content)
• Ensure sufficient ventilation.
Can Woodburning Stoves be Dangerous
Woodburning stoves are all-the-rage but, are they perilous?
The current study published in Chemical Research in Toxicology suggests that breathing particulate matter from a wood burning stove is like breathing car exhaust fumes.
Professor Steffen Loft of
Copenhagen University comments that the tiny airborne spots of
particulate matter found in wood-smoke are “small enough to be inhaled
into the deepest part of the lungs,” and “can certainly cause fatal
heart or lung disease.” also, Professor Loft claims there are links
between wood smoke and other disease processes, for instance asthma,
bronchitis, and cancer.
Along the lines of our suggestions above, Professor Loft suggests the following:
• Use dry wood
• Cut wood into small pieces
• Ensure a god flow of air to minimise emissions
A German study into wood-burning stoves published December 2010, reported similar conclusions.
The Death Knell for Wood Burning Stoves?
So is this the finish of woodburning stoves? No. The Solar Fuel Association responded that there is very little chance of vapours being released into a property from a correctly fitted stove.
Many homeowners tend to completely forget about their furnace maintenance until the weather starts to turn cold again. Once the chilly night hits, many people directly start using their heating machines without any monthly cleaning. One of the biggest mistakes that people usually make is to seek yearly maintenance during the peak time of the season when the others are also likely to be in the same boat. In that case, you not only need to wait for the technicians for a long time but it’s also a great chance to get low-quality service.
In order to avoid such inconvenience, you can learn a few DIY tips that enable you to maintain your furnace without waiting for the technicians:-
1. Check The Filters Of Furnace
Usually, all heating systems have two air filter- one is located at a center place near to thermostat and another is fitted somewhere inside the furnace near the blower component. Both the filters need to be cleaned frequently to avoid accumulating dust around the unit that increases the chance of damaging valuable parts. When your systems are not in use, dust builds up easily in the internal parts of the machine despite packing it properly. Around every three months, it is important to clean your machine to improve its work efficiency.
2. Spot Check The System
Once in a month, you should randomly check your systems especially when they are not in use to avoid major furnace repair issues. Inspect the air intake coming from outside and the exhaust on your roof to ensure that there is no leaves or frost built up around the ducts.
3. Give The System A Trial Run
In order to avoid such costly furnace repair bills, it is important to give the system a trial run before the cold sets in. Check your filter and the system as instructed above and then flip on the system and observe its performance. You can diagnose the flame elements through the side panel to determine whether they are heating up properly or not. It should look evenly blue and nice. Also, notice that system should cause any rattling noise when you switch on the unit.
Maintain your furnace by considering these things as this will allow you to avoid costly repairing cost and ensure the efficient performance during the peak time of summer season. All these tips are easy and simple to follow.
If you have a functional furnace in your house, it may need repair from time to time. As a matter of fact, furnaces can stop working any time. However, when they do, you don’t have to panic as you can do the basic repair on your own in most cases. Given below are some DIY repair tips that may help you get your thing back on the track once again. And you won’t need to call a professional. Read on.
1. Change the filter
The filter plays a big role in any furnace, especially during winter when it is under heavy load all the time. When the filter gets clogged, the airflow becomes poor. So, we suggest that you change the air filter at least once every 4 months. However, you may also want to consider the manufacturer’s recommendations.
2. Check burner flames
Make sure the flame is blue and burns evenly. A yellow flame means that the burners are dirty; however, it may also mean that there is carbon monoxide. If the later is the case, you should get in touch with a professional.
3. Vacuum the burners
First, you should switch off the system and the gas supply. Next, you should vacuum the dirt or dust close to the burners and blower compartment.
4. Clean the blower and flame sensor
Make sure you also clean the blades of the blower using a good vacuum cleaner and a brush. You should be careful not to damage the wiring or counterweights. For the flame sensor, you may want to try an emery cloth. It is designed for cleaning metal surfaces.
5. Dust surface igniter
You can use a drinking straw for removing dust from the surface igniter or the pilot. Just don’t touch that hot thing.
6. Look at the drive belt
Actually, you should check it on a regular basis. It is not costly to replace, though. A new belt won’t cost you more than $5, give or take.
7. Lubricate bearings
You should check the blower shaft bearings and the motor bearings for lubrication. Ideally, it’s a good idea to lubricate them on an annual basis. You can use lightweight motor oil.
8. Deal with the corrosion
If you can see a powdery substance on the vents of the exhaust, know that it can be corrosion. You can’t do anything about. So, calling a professional is a good idea.
9. Leaky vents
During your inspection, if you notice a leak, you can use seal them up with heat resistant silicone or metal tape.
10. Check exhaust pipes for air intake
You should check the exhaust pipes for air intake. If there is debris, leaves or ice, you should remove it from the exterior of the exhaust.
Long story short, if your furnace is not working properly, you can check it thoroughly with the help of the tips given in this article. After you have checked the furnace and have followed the given tips, your furnace should work properly. If it doesn’t, you should call a professional.
Oil burners in fuel are an integral part of oil heating appliances. In the oil boiler, the burner must be adjustable, depending on the changing parameters of the fuel oil. See what are the most important things related to oil burners.
The advantage of oil boilers is that after replacing the burner, the oil furnace can also be operated as a gas. There are also produced dual-fuel burners enabling the change of fuel from oil to gas and vice versa, without the need to replace the burner. However, due to the high price, they are rarely used in boilers intended for single-family houses.
Oil Burner and Gas Burner in heating boilers sprays fuel oil or allows it to evaporate. During this process, the fuel intensively mixes with the air and only a mixture of oil and air is burned.
A proper oil quality is a prerequisite for the proper operation of the oil burner. The most important for the course of the combustion process is kinematic viscosity. To get the right viscosity, you need to heat the oil. In the burner, the oil is heated by an electric oil heater. It is integrated with the nozzle and has a variable power range. The heater adjusts its electrical power to the instantaneous heat demand, thanks to which it minimizes the amount of energy consumed. After the fuel has reached a predetermined temperature, e.g. 80 ° C, the thermostat gives a signal to the controller. The controller first starts the fan, then the ignition system, and then opens the shut-off valve for the oil supply. The resulting oil-air mixture ignites, as indicated by the flame detector.
If the flame disappears during the burner operation, the oil supply is immediately interrupted. The device attempts to restart the burner and ignite the mixture. However, if the mixture does not ignite at the programmed time, the burner will be blocked.
After starting and adjusting the burner, the control electronics allow you to set the minimum amount of oil consumption. If the oil flow is reduced (for example, by 10% due to a blocked nozzle), a service inspection signal will appear on the display.
In order to achieve total and energy-saving combustion, the burner must be perfectly matched to the boiler. Otherwise, the boiler will have lower efficiency, and hence – will use more oil to produce the same amount of heat.
Oil burners – types
Fan burners can be one- or two-stage. In boilers with one-stage burners, the capacity change occurs by turning the burner on or off. Boilers with two-stage burners on the first stage work with less power, on the second – with nominal. Two-stage burners ensure more economical operation of the heating system. Rebar Bender is equipped with a security system controlling the system operation, and in the event of a malfunction, switching off the burner and shutting off the fuel supply.
A two-stage burner better than a one-stage burner. A properly selected oil burner guarantees durability and high boiler energy efficiency as well as minimizing pollutant emissions.
Industry and family gatherings cannot do without cooking, parties and other forms of home entertainment. The latest trend is to bristle firewood in the fireplaces and outdoor ovens for warmth and red spirited fun. In summers you can cook and bake without making your home hot and uncomfortable, and in winters you can bathe in the cozy warmth of the crackling fireplace. The home and yard can be used creatively for a number of barbeques and get-togethers. All you have to do is keep well stocked on firewood.
Different ignition levels of different firewood:
Trees give firewood that is the ideal environmentally friendly fuel source in today’s times.
Why should firewood be used?
Firewood has carbon neutral burning properties as compared to coal and foreign oil. When it is burnt it releases carbon-dioxide but in the same amount as produced in a natural environment. There is no way that burning firewood contributes to global warming in the environment. Firewood is eco-friendly and economical when it is purchased in bulk quantities and can help lower utility costs.
Is coal good for burning?
Coal is also used as a heat source because it burns steadily well and is compact. But coal has pollutants that release carbon dioxide emissions. Firewood has much lesser carbon dioxide emissions and pollutants in comparison, which is why it is a better option than coal.
Firewood burns at different temperature levels
A Firewood company will have documented burning properties of different varieties of firewood for sale. The burning property of this fuel source helps in controlling temperature of the fire. The firewood for sale has different moisture levels that can be tested and calibrated so that they can be dried until they can be ignited properly.
There is a variety of soft and hardwood that is available in the market. You can choose the variety you desire by checking out its ignition quotient and checking its documented information. There is firewood which catches fire immediately and there are others that can stay smouldering for a long long time. Check out the wood you want according to your needs and specifications.
Where can you find firewood?
To find out the best places, where you get good quality firewood for sale, just type “Firewood near me”, on the search engine, your location will be assessed. You can get the best outlets dispensing different types of firewood like Box firewood, ironbark firewood, red gum firewood, seasoned hardwood, mixed eco-friendly firewood. Firewood is easily accessible and the best eco-friendly fuel that can be safely used in your homes.
Purchase good quality firewood in shape you desire:
Well reputed companies dealing with firewood, employ trained and proficient staff members to assist you in your purchases. You can get the forest firewood shaped into blocks or long logs according to your needs. Let the flickering flame of fire crackle brightly in your fireplace.
Firewood can be contaminated and for this, you need to choose “your personal” clean and a good lot from a well-reputed seller like the family-owned Black Forest Firewood. The wood purchased from Black Forest Firewood is sustainable and has undergone the tough Trommel screening procedure so that it stays contamination free.
1. Wood burning stoves are cost-effective. Unlike other home heating technologies that cost a fortune to purchase and maintain, wood stoves let you pleasantly heat your home without adding to your monthly expenditure. The price of wood stoves can’t compare with even the cheapest electric and gas heating system in town. The price of wood fuel is almost 10% lower than the price of oil, electricity, and gas.
2. They are the most flexible and versatile choice of home heating systems. They can perfectly fit almost everywhere in your house as long as there is adequate spacing to safely and seamlessly install the vent pipe. So, with wood stoves, you can zone-heat everywhere in your house regardless of the size and shape of the room.
3. Wood fuel is proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be carbon neutral. Unlike the common belief amongst peers, wood burning doesn’t increase atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Though wood logs will obviously emit carbon dioxide while burning, the carbon discharged will be counterbalanced by the growing trees. This is a fact since trees absorb carbon dioxide and emit pure oxygen which aids minimize the levels of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere.
4. Wood offers a renewable and sovereign source of energy. Wood fuel is available in plenty and there are lower chances you can lack ready wood fuel for sale. As for oil and gas, they are non-renewable so you can expect them to run out any time without prior warning. As for electricity, it is produced by burning fossil fuels which a limited commodity meaning it can run out any fine day.
5. Wood fuels produce more and exceptional heat. They run on the radiant heat principle so they heat rooms a bit more proficiently and rapidly compared to heat produced via vent systems. Wood stoves produce heat that radiates through both tops and all sides of the unit hence sending warm to all directions in the target rooms.
6. Works perfectly as a real cooking stove. Some modern wood burning stoves are designed to work as cooking stoves. All you need is to install the cookware and adjust the temperature and you are good to go. With a good wood burning stove, you can thus reduce your expenditure on cooking gas.
7. Current-day wood burning stoves come in a plethora of wonderful finishes, styles, and sizes. They are designed with your lifestyle and preferences in mind. Almost all modern wood burning stoves are perfectly designed and stylishly finished to meet the special decor and style preferences of different homeowners. That said when shopping, you can be sure to find a good stove that has an inflection best suited for your home decor and style.
If you are looking for a flooring material that can give your room that fresh and clean ambience, then the best choice for you is bamboo flooring. Bamboo made textiles possess that beautiful characteristic texture that are unlike any other wooden flooring. Apart from that, they can also come in varying shades so you have more option in terms of the design and hue of your floors. Bamboo textiles are also very versatile and can go with any room design that you fancy. They can bring coziness back to contemporary designs that may have overly bold colors and a modern taste to that classical room.
So if you are now looking for a flooring material to fill your brand new or even your newly renovated floors, then bamboo floors can be the perfect material to turn that room into that perfect space. One of the leading textile companies to turn to for this kind of material is a company called the BothBest Enterprise. This company has dedicated itself to the manufacturing and distribution of engineered bamboo flooring products and materials. Yes, there are a number of companies that also offer similar products but do read on and find out why this company is the best possible choice for bamboo made floorings today!
To start of, Both Best Enterprise has been in the textile business for almost a decade and is distributing their products in various countries all around the globe. They are known to have the highest quality strand bamboo flooring and textiles in the industry, tested and proven by thousands of satisfied customers. BothBest Enterprise harvests their bamboo straight from China. And you need not worry about them destroying all those trees because this company have made it its job to plant new bamboo plans to sustain their numbers in the wild.
The bamboo flooring products from China based BothBest Enterprise are guaranteed one hundred percent resistant to weathering and scratching. This way, you are sure to enjoy that beautiful floor for years and years to come. The processing techniques and the stain that they use are of top quality and will guarantee you nothing but the best and the sturdiest products that the market has to offer. They also have materials with the lowest formaldehyde content so you are guaranteed that you have inside your walls the safest bamboo floors possible.
So why settle for anything less? If you want your bamboo textiles to last for years and years, then the best people to turn to for high quality bamboo flooring is right here at the Both Best Enterprise. They offer their products at very affordable prices and guarantee you that every cent you pay will be all worth it. So visit their website today to view their different flooring shades and get more details about the service that they offer. You can also get their complete contact information on the website so log on and start shopping!